Monday, January 14, 2013

First week back in the kitchen...

I think I was a bit too ambitious my first week back in my kitchen.  I had bought a new cookbook by Kir Jensen "Sugar Cube: 50 Deliciously Twisted Treats from the Sweetest Little Food Cart on the Planet".  It was also Gemma's birthday week, so I hadn't really planned out what I needed to do for her party.

My first attempt of making something from the new cookbook was a success as seen in the previous  post.  My next attempt only showed that I was way too anxious to be back in the kitchen.  It seemed to have lost my patience while I was in Thailand!

I invited my dear friend Berenice over for lunch so we could catch up.  I made her Lakeshire Pork from the Avoca Cafe Cookbook along with braised cabbage with sherry vinegar and smashed potatoes.  My lunch turned out extremely tasty.  For dessert I decided to try out "The Ulitmate Brownie" out of the Sugar Cube cookbook.

 DSC_0281

My ingredients...I am getting a little nervous I haven't seen my favorite brand of butter, Kerrygold, in a really long time.

There were 3 steps to the process of this recipes.  First the brownies, which were easy enough and made in cupcake linings.  The next step was a coffee syrup, followed by a dollop of chocolate ganache in the middle of the brownie cake.

DSC_0287

Getting ready for the oven...

DSC_0289

Finished brownie sans coffee syrup and ganache.

IMG_2569

The finished product.

I was a bit disappointed in the way that they turned out.  I really did not like them in a cupcake liner as brownie batter is a different consistency than cake batter and the stuck to the paper too much. The brownie was too sweet for my taste and I couldn't taste the coffee syrup enough (this could have been because the syrup was too sweet for me too).  The ganache looked great, but if I was somewhere other than China I would have tried a little harder to find a better quality of bittersweet chocolate.  Everyone who tried them love them, so maybe it was just me. One other thing I would do when I make them next time is to under bake them a few minutes.  I love a brownie with a gooey center!

No comments:

Post a Comment